In a perfect world, workers’ compensation benefits are given right off to workers or employees suffering from a work-related illness or injury. Unfortunately, in our imperfect world, workers’ compensation claims are routinely denied by the insurance companies of employers.
The intricate web of appeals workers had to go through to get compensated often makes them give up. Yet, all is not lost with help coming from good and dedicated workers’ compensation lawyers.
A worker hiring the services of these competent legal experts stands a better chance of getting their deserved benefits. Good workers’ compensation lawyers in Gold Coast will take the responsibility of gathering all medical evidence to support the claim, communicate with the insurance company, negotiate a settlement, and handle the legal representation when, and if, a case is filed in court.
Benefits of Good Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
The scales of justice can go the way of a worker hiring the help of a reliable workers’ compensation lawyer. The multiple benefits a competent compensation lawyer brings to the table include:
Gather all evidence
The common reason for insurance companies to deny a workers’ comp claim is insufficient or lack of medical evidence. Strong medical evidence supporting your claim is the only way to receive all the benefits including medical treatment.
A workers’ comp lawyer can help to make the claim valid and strong by:
- Gathering all medical records related to the illness or injury
- Hire certain medical practitioners to treat the illness or injury
- Get the medical opinion from the hired physician including opinion from an independent medical examination
- Represent you at a deposition requiring your presence
- Conduct interviews with other medical experts
Maximising the chances of a favourable outcome is the ultimate goal of a competent workers’ comp lawyer.
Negotiate and handle Settlement Agreements
Negotiating and handling settlement agreements become more favourable to the worker when he/she is represented by a reliable workers’ comp lawyer. The estimated amounts of benefits you rightfully deserve are based on several factors, including:
- The seriousness of your illness or injuries that have prevented you from doing activities of daily living
- Medical expenses spent in the past as well as cover medical expenses you will be needing in the future related to the acquired illness or injury
- Determine whether your condition calls for filing a permanent disability claim
- Determine if temporary disability or loss of wages, late payment penalties, and benefits are owed to you by your employer
- Settlement of past wages
The tactics and tricks insurance companies use are seen and understood by experienced workers’ comp lawyers. Workers acting alone can be lulled by the final offer tactics used by insurance companies.
Negative consequences during settlement times can be avoided with good legal representation. Workers stand to lose thousands of dollars in compensation when the settlement agreement is not done properly.
Act as your representative during a trial or workers’ comp hearing
A trial or hearing is the next procedure when your lawyer and the insurance company are unable to settle. Your lawyer will do everything he/she is capable of to win your case.
It is only right for workers to get compensated when they become ill or injured while on the job. However, the insurance companies of employers have made it a standard practice to either deny the claim or to offer the lowest compensation rate.